The Global Cybersecurity Index (GCI) is a composite index of 25 indicators produced by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) to measure the commitment of countries to cybersecurity in order to raise cybersecurity awareness.
The main objectives of GCI are to measure:
- the type, level and evolution over time of cybersecurity commitment in countries
- progress in cybersecurity commitment of all countries from a global and regional perspective
- the cybersecurity commitment divide (difference between countries in terms of their level of engagement in cybersecurity initiatives.)
The GCI is rooted in the ITU Global Cybersecurity Agenda (GCA) that was launched in 2007, and forms the five pillars of GCI:
- Legal: Legal institutions and frameworks dealing with cybersecurity and cybercrime.
- Technical: Technical institutions and framework dealing with cybersecurity.
- Organizational: Policy coordination institutions and strategies for cybersecurity development at the national level.
- Capacity building: Research and development, education and training programmes, certified professionals and public sector agencies fostering capacity building.
- Cooperation: Partnerships, cooperative frameworks and information sharing networks.
These five designated areas form the basis of the indicators for GCI because they shape the inherent building blocks of a national cybersecurity culture.
The goal of the GCI is to help countries identify areas for improvement in the field of cybersecurity, as well as motivate them to take action to improve their ranking, thus helping raise the overall level of cybersecurity worldwide. Through the collected information, GCI aims to illustrate the practices of others so that countries can implement selected aspects suitable to their national environment, with the added benefit of helping to harmonize practices, and foster a global culture of cybersecurity.
Source: International Telecommunication Union (ITU). For a more detailed description of the methodology, please refer to the ITU 2017 report here (Link hinterlegen: https://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-d/opb/str/D-STR-GCI.01-2017-PDF-E.pdf).
Global Cybersecurity Index
Global Cybersecurity Index | List of References
© 27.01.2022, Provided by Database for Institutional Comparisons in Economies (https://dice.ifo.de/en/node/317818)
|International Telecommunications Union (ITU)||Global Cybersecurity Index (GCI)||2018||https://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-d/opb/str/D-STR-GCI.01-2018-PDF-E.pdf||2017-07-22||web|